Saturday, February 3, 2007

nutrients

I signed up for nutrients on this cruise. We put these in a slightly different
categrory that the other chemicals that we're measuring. Nutrients in seawater
-- i.e nitrogen and phosphorous compounds -- are relevant for both biological
and physical oceanographic questions. Unlike the other tracers which I've
mentioned, we are actually doing the chemical analysis onboard. I learned how
to use the machinery for most of the afternoon today. It brings me back to my
high school days. The MST describes the job description as a glorified bottle
washer. Make standards, wash bottles, clean machine, put samples in, wash
vials, remove samples, wash everything, repeat. Starts to make sense why I
chose computers over lab work.

But it makes it much better when you can walk out of the lab and watch Adelie
penguins porpoising off the bow and icebergs shed huge blocks of ice into the
ocean.

I forgot my alarm clock and home and I was worried about waking up this morning.
Luckily I realized that I could set the TV in the room (no cable... just ship
data and the winch cam) to play a movie at a specified time. I raided the
lounge last night and settled on groundhog day...it just seemed right. I can
understand why the continuous shifts, meals, tasks, and daylight could make it
feel like you're living the same day over and over again.

2 comments:

Erika Mills said...

Hi Chris! Just wanted to share that Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring this year, though Holtsville Hal and Dunkirk Dave contend 6 more weeks of winter. Who knew Phil had competition? (I looked it up when I read your posting). I also looked up photos of Adelie penguins and I'm very jealous of your views. It's been great living vicariously through you... I'm on the edge of my seat for the results of those nutrient tests. For us landlubbers, today is the superbowl. Not quite as exciting as LaChat :)

take care!

Liz said...

And on that note, if spring is "right around the corner" for us, I wonder if fall/winter will come faster for you? Is that why the Amundsen sea is looking more treacherous than planned?!?