Sunday, February 25, 2007

Daylight savings?

We've had a few tough days of sampling near Pine Island glacier (as
close as we can get anyway) and I am tired. Blog entries are
suffering a little as a result. I'm also having trouble finding time
to do the analysis of some of the nutrients and other measurements,
as well as think about my own work and how I'd like to tie it to this
region and this data. I'm trying to think about this a) because I
need to think past the next month and 2) also because I'm planning to
give a "science talk" on the cruise at some point. Modeling (what I
do usually) and observations (which I'm currently gathering) are both
vital and can be symbiotic when the other side is involved in framing
the experiment and involved in the analysis. I thought I'd try to
address some of the key capabilities models offer, then try to
stimulate discussion of how to use either this cruise, or general
observational data in the region, for better modeling studies. But
I'd like to be more specific.

Our PI on this cruise often turns a question like "where are we going
next?" into "where do YOU think we should go?" -- which is great if
you have a firm grasp of your own objectives. But I've been trying
to assimilate the mass of data we've been collecting, and my ideas
for what questions are important (and answerable) are still up in the
air and may be changing. Luckily I still have a month or so to
think, and luckily others on this ship are stuck within 360 feet of
me, so they'll be forced to listen as I babble.

The sampling, hands-on lab work, and power tools are a great way to
break from these questions, but at this point they're a 12 hour a day
job. Not enough hours in a day (even one with 22 hours of daylight)
to get it all done.

For those who've sent email, thanks! I'll get back to you soon.

And Happy Birthday Mom!

C

No comments: