Sunday, February 11, 2007

NBP life part 2 - modern conveniences, or, did I really need to bring 40 pounds of ECW?

I've alluded to some of the comforts that the ship affords us. It's
not home, but it's not roughing it in any way. Although we're
exploring some of the most remote areas on the planet, we're doing it
with little of the original adventure (and danger) of the continent's
more famous explorers. Maybe it's not quite the same experience, but
I doubt we'll have to resort to eating penguins and/or our shoes.

Here are a few of the luxuries in addition to the food (update:
chicken cordon bleu for lunch today):

The ride is smooth. I've heard that ice-breaking ships can roll more
in heavy seas, because some of them have a rounded bow. But even in
the storm we went through, the picture out the window looks a lot
more severe than the ride inside the NBP. Especially aft, where most
of the labs are.

Laundry is right down the hall next to the:

Gym -- which is much bigger than I'd been led to believe, adequate
for a small hotel. You've never exercised until riding a stationary
bike in a room with no windows on a ship in a storm. After the gym
you can head to the:

Sauna, with its own changing room and steam-capability.

There is an ample library and a VHS and DVD collection. I found the
TV has an alarm feature, so I can wake up to a movie at 2:30 in the
morning. I would wake up to winch TV except that it very rarely has
any sound.

There is a huge computer server and any scientific software we might
need unless it's really obscure. The labs, especially on a small
cruise, have plenty of space -- I work in the aft dry lab with one or
two other people when I'm working on collecting and managing samples
and by myself in the hydro lab when analyzing nutrients. Which is
cool because they have speakers installed and the nutrient work
demands tunes.

I never have to go outside and it's comfortable almost everywhere on
the ship, so answer to the question in the title is no. The only
thing I've needed is the standard USAP red parka for photo excursions
to the bow. What can I say, life is good.

4 comments:

roy said...

Which answers my question--are you out there on that rolling, icy deck?

roy said...

Which answers my question--are you out there on that rolling, icy deck?

Unknown said...

I must concede that things were, in fact, getting maybe a little too sciency there for few posts- but the last few entries have really put things back on track. I'm genuinely jealous of all the things you're seeing- and of the red parkas. do they sell those to civies? can you pick me up one? and what's going on with the hair these days- you getting that badboy grow out a little- AB style?

Lolo Morris said...

Mmmm, turkey dinner! All this food makes me think the scientists are working in food comas most of the time.

I had a snow day today! Mother nature gave me a Valentine of sorts!

Lots of love