Thursday, March 8, 2007

other people's opinions

It is always a good thing to consult a variety of different resources when you're conducting research.  I'd be skeptical of one person's opinion.  But I'm also a little selfish and want people to read what I write.  So I've had a little bit of an ongoing moral dilemma about advertising the fact that there are other accounts of this trip circulating around this thing they call the "internet".  I think I've kept you in the dark long enough though.

Several other people have blogs of one form or another going -- some with definite "outreach" purposes, others (like me) just for fun.  SO if you're looking for more information, a different source, insight into the different types of work on the ship, or are bored with this collection, here are some other links.

Rich is an atmospheric scientist who's very interested in sea ice and works at Lamont (Columbia). He and I found out within a day or so of Christchurch that he was writing about the trip on nbp-07-02.blogspot.com.  Funny, huh?  I know he has some pictures from Christchurch, and I think he's just doing this for fun.  It's not far away, so pay him a visit.

Rachael is a graduate student at Oregon State and has worked on some small scale oceanic processes likely to occur under and near ice shelves.  She's now looking at joining the modeling community, using an Antarctic tidal model.  SHe's is doing this as a formal outreach project and has put a lot of time (and bandwidth) into it.  I think she has pictures of the trip and a map up. Here's the address: http://www.esr.org/wais07_index.html.

Rose is an undergraduate at Colorado College in geology and is working primarily on the bathymetric data collection on the ship, although she has helped Brice and I sample nuts, which is a huge help for us as we're wielding power tools around the rosette.  I don't have her address, but will send it when she wakes up.

There may be others floating around out there too, try searching for nbp 0702 with other combinations of spaces and hyphens, maybe you'll find something I don't know about.

In the meantime, thanks for spending time reading this one!

No comments: