Sunday, January 28, 2007

New Zealand

I'm sitting in my bed in the Windsor B&B in lovely Christchurch NZ on
Monday morning. Travel went flawlessly except for the unavoidable
fact that it was way too long. With the 30 hours of solid travel
between Philly and Christchurch along with the 16 hour time zone
shift I have to be told what day it is. 10 or so hours of sleep have
relied some of the disorientation, but I'm still unsure of what time
it is back at home and should probably just forget.

I've met a fair amount of the science crew which will be on the NBP
at this point. Sounds like there is a strong Lamont-Doherty
(Columbia) contingent, and in the small sample so far, it seems like
we may span a pretty good range of newbies to the very experienced.
I probably asked some dumb questions to the more experienced, but
it's probably better to get these things out of the way before we get
on the ship. Anyway we talked some science over Indian last night
but for the most part were just trying to stay awake until dark. Whet
night fell, so did I.

Glad that you are along for my first trip to the southern
hemisphere. The fact that it's warm here is not weird, but the fact
that it stays light until late is. I suppose I'm going to have to get
used to this and soon. I keep making sciencey jokes about the
coriolis-induced vertigo, but no one thinks they're funny.

Today's schedule involves a jog in the botanical gardens, a trip to
the CDC to try on and pick up ECW. Then just walking around. It's a
shame that I can't spend more time here and that a lot of it is spent
trying on clothes. That's my bad though.

Next update from the ice assuming the flight leaves tomorrow.

C

4 comments:

roy said...

chris--is the plane to mcm a c-130 on skis? never got a ride in one--but it sure looks funny on asphalt.

don't worry about what day it is--the only thing that matters now is light, dark, and dinner!

Unknown said...

I too enjoy talking science over Indians!

Unknown said...

It's Monday at 8:15 back home. At least at my home. At your home (lat/lon see your original post) it's just a tad earlier, and lighter, than it is here. There now, doesn't that help?

Unknown said...

A.B.- I was trying to do some research for you as to where you might unwind a little in sweet, sweet McMurdo. And it looks pretty grim. Antarctica, not surpirisingly, does not appear to have an especially vibrant bar scene. There seem to be two bars on the entire continent: Gallagher's and Southern Exposure. I think you might want to stay away from Gallagher's becasue it doubles as a bingo parlor. It's named after a guy who recently froze to death. Also, they ran out of beer for two months once and had to serve Zima. Southern Exposure, while apparently horrendous in its own right, does not allow bingo, so I think that's probably the place. the beer at both comes in cans and is remarkably old and stale.